Are you a prospective student in Kenya looking for financial assistance to aid you in your educational pursuit? If yes, then this article meets you well.
The educational cabinet secretary has announced that the portal is now open for all students seeking financial assistance to apply for the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
We published this article to help you with the steps to apply for the HELB loan, read the rest of the article to see details.
HELB Loan Application Form 2024/2025
The online portal for the Higher Education Loans Boards is now open. Candidates should please note that from August, the loans will be moved to the Higher Education Financing (HEF) portal; loans will, however, be disbursed as usual.
The HELB loan ranges from about Ksh 40,000 to Ksh60,000 each year. The loan amount is split between the cost of upkeep and tuition.
Requirements for HELB Loan Applications 2024/2025
Candidates should provide the following documents with their HELB application form (enclosed in a single envelope):-
- A copy of their national identification card.
- Candidates must submit copies of the parents’ national identification cards/death certificates (if the parent is deceased).
- Candidates must submit copies of both guarantors’ national identification cards.
- They must also submit a copy of the admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate of the applicant.
- A copy of the applicant’s bank ATM/bank card is required from government-sponsored students only.
- Candidates must submit a copy of the applicant’s institution’s Smart Card.
- One recent colored passport photo of the applicant.
How to Apply for the HELB Loan
Candidates should follow the steps outlined below
- Visit www.helb.co.ke to access the Student Portal
- Create and activate your account.
- Log in, navigate to Loan Application
- Click and select the Undergraduate First Time Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Read and evaluate your financial literacy online, and ensure that you understand the purpose of credit.
- Access the Loan Application Form and fill it out.
- Proofread the form and make the required changes (if any)
- Ensure that you print out two copies of the filled loan application form.
- Read, comprehend, and sign to accept the loan terms and conditions and data protection consent form.
- Keep a copy of the completed and signed Loan Application Form (This is mandatory)
- After submitting the loan application, there will be notifications on receipt, application verification, award and payout of upkeep and tuition loans, and, where applicable, bursary.
- The loan application process is free (Beware of fraudsters).
- Present one copy of the filled form and all the attached documents at any of the following Huduma centers nearest to you:-
- Nairobi- GPO, Bomet, Bungoma, Chuka, Eldoret, Embu, Garissa, Kakamega, Kericho, Kilifi, Kisii, Kisumu, Kitale, Kitui, Lodwar, Machakos, Makueni, Meru, Migori, Mombasa, Murang’a, Nakuru, Nandi, Narok, Nyeri, Taita Taveta, Thika, West Pokot.
- HELB Student Service Centre, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi, OR c) Send to HELB through registered and secure mail or courier.